Sunday, January 14, 2024

2024: Christmas Carols Blog: New and Future

2024: Christmas Carols Blog: New and Future

by R. Rojas

I am always amazed how fast the Christmas season goes. We are currently in Epiphanytide, the post-Holiday blues has set in. It never ceases to amaze me how much new fantastic music comes out during the festive season.

Usually during this time, I'm in a race with the BBC to listen to music before they take it down. Usually, BBC 3 will keep shows posted for 30 days, which is most inconvenient for us carols fans, as there are many gems they play during the holiday season. As I write this, I’m scurrying to finish a Composer of the Week Series called “Ralph Vaughn Williams Christmas” which ran the week before Christmas on Radio 3.

Minnesota Public Radio keeps their holiday programing up year-round. After I finish listening to all the BBC shows, I finish what I had not listened to on MPR. Other shows I listen are the various carol services, from advent to Epiphany that churches and colleges post on their YouTube channels. 

I also give a listen to the various classical, choral, and early music podcasts that may have had a Christmas music episode. I also finish the Celtic Christmas Music Podcast that has several episodes during the season.

It usually about this time I also explore the pop world. It's an ugly world to venture into, but sometimes one will find a pop Christmas gem. However, most will be sad efforts.

I also try to see what jazz items came out during the holiday, since I only catch a sporadic few during the actual season. Gregory Porter’s album has gained a lot of traction. I’m currently listening to it.

I'm working on a post on Cheryl Frances-Hoad, as she was the commissionee* for 2023’s Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols at King’s College, Cambridge.

I also started writing a post on the Christmas music of William Lloyd Webber. I'm also tackling a post on cinematic suites, which are suites of music from the scores of Christmas films. I do plan to write a State of the Christmas carol, which I have ignored the last few years. My post on Elizabeth Poston is still a work in progress and I think I may have gone down a rabbit hole. I hope that it's not a hole belonging to the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog. 

 

When I originally started my "Christmas Music of" series, I had thought to use the list of commissionees from King's College's Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols. Two things came up though. One, if I were to use this list, I would ignore the composers before the 1980s that composed a host of Christmas work. Second, the list is largely British and male. For this reason, I decided to flip flop with one post on a woman composer and one post on a male composer, exploring their Christmas work. I admit, though I'm American, I still have a bias to composers from the U.K., but I'll work to balance that. 

 

Last year, I had planned to review every album I put in our new Christmas albums list. Sadly, I did not one. This is the year though. Then again, I cannot possibly purchase every album, so review copies are always appreciated. Physical copies are requested, but digital MP3 with PDF liner notes are also appreciated. To get your recording reviewed, email me at christmascarolblog@gmail.com.

 

There is always a tradition in Latin American of scholar publishing a scholarly piece in an academic journal of some type, then watering down that piece for publication in a non-academic magazine.

In that way, the masses, so to say, can also appreciate it also. Any academic who may want to publish an article on are blog are always invited. I am always looking for collaborators on this blog, whether they are persons who can submit posts on subject, or guest bloggers who can post now and then.

 

I'm also open to composers who may want to write a quick post. Feel free to use us to promote your work. Shameless self-promotion is always welcome. Composers interested in an email interviews with me regarding your Christmas work, feel free to contact me at the email below. 

 

I'm still astonished that there is not a yearly conference on the Christmas carol. I'm anxious to start the conversation with other carols fanatics. I imagine it as one a somewhat academic and lax academic side. If you are interested, feel free to email me Ray Rojas at christmascarolblog@gmail.com.

I've also wanted begin some type of forum. I feel listservs are passé, I though I've enjoyed many academically topic listservs since the advent of the Internet. Facebook group? Maybe. Again, feel free to email me to brainstorm.

 

Happy New Years and I hope for new Christmas music in 2024. I have already been contacted about two new recording, one forthcoming this June, and one released this month (January 2024).


*To describe the composer whom King's College has commissioned for the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols, I use the term "commissionee." I know it has a baseball, or elected official feel, however, it's used for lack of a better term. King's College would be the "commisioner." Not the best term, but I'll run with it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment